|Demographics of Singapore|
|Birth rate||8.6 births/1,000 population (2021)|
|Death rate||5.8 deaths/1,000 population (2021)|
|Life expectancy||83.5 years (2021)|
|• male||81.1 years (2021)|
|• female||85.9 years (2021)|
|Fertility rate||1.12 (2021)|
|Infant mortality rate||1.8 deaths/1,000 live births (2021)|
|Nationality||noun: Singaporean(s) adjective: Singaporean|
|Major ethnic||Chinese, Malay, Indian|
|Official||English, Mandarin, Malay, Tamil|
|Spoken||English, Singlish, Mandarin, Singdarin, Malay, Tamil and others|
|Life in Singapore|
The demographics of Singapore include the population statistics of Singapore such as population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other demographic data of the population.
As of June 2021, Singapore's population stood at 5.45 million. Of its total population of 5.45 million in 2021, 4 million are residents, which consists of citizens and permanent residents (PRs), and 1.45 million are non-residents, which consists of those on various work passes as well as foreign students.
Singapore is a multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural Asian society and its people are broadly organised under the CMIO (Chinese–Malay–Indian–Other) system of categorisation since 1965. Ethnic Chinese at 75.9% form the largest group, followed by ethnic Malays (15.0%) and ethnic Indians (7.5%), collectively making up virtually the entirety of its citizen population (98.4%). The remaining 1.6% consists of those classified as "Other" or are Eurasians. The Malays are recognised as the indigenous community. Mixed-race Singaporeans often take up the race of their father in official documents. However, the race categorisation on their National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) has the option to be double barrelled to signify both ethnicities of their parents.
There are four official languages in Singapore – English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil. Malay is the symbolic national language, while English is the main working language. Education in Singapore is bilingual whereby English is the main medium of instruction, and students are also taught a second language which may be Malay, Mandarin, or Tamil. Students also have the option to learn a third language at the Ministry of Education Language Centre (MOELC) or a different second language other than the three official ones depending on the circumstances. Singlish, a local creole and accent, is often used in colloquial speech and is understood among the native-born races of Singapore. There is also Singdarin, which is of the same premise as Singlish largely based on Mandarin.
Religions include Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Taoism, Hinduism, amongst others. The annual total population growth rate for the year 2020 was -0.3%. Singapore's resident total fertility rate (TFR) was 1.10 in 2020; the Singaporean Chinese, Malay and Indian fertility rates were 0.94, 1.83 and 0.97 respectively. In 2018, the Singaporean Malay fertility rate was about 85% higher than that of Singaporean Chinese and Singaporean Indians, while approximately 70% higher in 2010.