Monophthongization is a sound change by which a diphthong becomes a monophthong, a type of vowel shift. It is also known as ungliding,[1][2] as diphthongs are also known as gliding vowels. In languages that have undergone monophthongization, digraphs that formerly represented diphthongs now represent monophthongs. The opposite of monophthongization is vowel breaking.

  1. ^ Hazen, Kirk (2000). "A methodological suggestion on /aj/ ungliding". American Speech.
  2. ^ Hazen, Kirk (2006). "Some Cases of the Syllable in Southern English". Southern Journal of Linguistics. 28.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia · View on Wikipedia

Developed by Nelliwinne