- newJet attacks Tripoli's last airport
An unidentified jet carries out two air strikes on Maitiga air base in Tripoli, the Libyan capital's last functioning airport.
- 42 mins ago 24 Nov 14, 6:24pm -
- newWhere did Chuck Hagel go wrong?
Mr Hagel may not have been fired from his top military post but he appears to have been pushed, says the BBC's Jonathan Marcus
- 55 mins ago 24 Nov 14, 6:11pm -
- newWomen win historic bobsleigh medals
Kaillie Humphries and Elana Meyers-Taylor become the first women to win international four-man bobsleigh medals.
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 6:03pm -
- newBritain's soggy future?
The Bank of England's chief economist, Andy Haldane, tells the BBC that there's a risk that long term growth in the UK, and other developed economies, will be "soggier than it has been in the past"
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 6:00pm -
- newUS defence secretary to step down
Chuck Hagel has resigned as US defence secretary after less than two years in the post, following a series of meetings with President Barack Obama.
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 5:54pm -
- newC. diff inquiry blames health board
Scotland's largest health board is heavily criticised by an inquiry into the country's worst Clostridium difficile (C. diff) outbreak.
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 5:52pm -
- newSpain priests held over child abuse
Police in Granada have arrested three priests and one layman on suspicion of child sex abuse, according to Spain's interior minister.
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 5:49pm -
- newDUP remarks 'appalling': McGuinness
Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness has said it was "absolutely appalling " to hear Gregory Campbell's remarks about Irish language at the DUP conference.
- 1 hour ago 24 Nov 14, 5:38pm -
- newVIDEO: Lewis Hamilton's season in numbers
See Lewis Hamilton's season in stats as he becomes only the fourth British F1 driver to win multiple world championships.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:32pm -
- newVIDEO: Better than Beckham? Great NFL catches
After Odell Beckham Jr's incredible catch for the New York Giants, BBC Sport looks at the best efforts from the 2013 season to see how they compare.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:15pm -
- newBT in talks to buy O2 from Telefonica
Telecoms giant BT is in talks with Telefonica about buying the O2 mobile network in the UK from the Spanish firm.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:09pm -
- new'Abuse risk' for 132 city children
At least 132 Birmingham children are suffering or are vulnerable to child sexual exploitation, a report shows.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:01pm -
- newVIDEO: Man's 20-year fake identity
The former head of the Somerset Racial Equality Council is convicted of fraud after stealing another man's identity, as Duncan Kennedy reports.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:55pm -
- newItalian doctor catches Ebola virus
An Italian doctor who contracted Ebola while working for a charity in Sierra Leone is being flown back to Rome for treatment, officials say.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:46pm -
- newThree guilty of estate axe killing
Three teenagers who killed a 46-year-old with an axe and a knife when he confronted them on a west London estate are convicted.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:38pm -
- newWomen not equal to men, says Erdogan
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says women cannot be treated as equal to men, and accuses feminists of rejecting motherhood.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:31pm -
- newLlewelyn-Bowen vows action over park
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen vows to act after the Christmas attraction he helped to create was forced to close because of complaints.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:28pm -
- newMorocco hit by deadly flash floods
Flooding in southern Morocco kills 32 people and destroys homes after heavy weekend rainfall, officials say.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:13pm -
- newPolar sub gauges sea ice thickness
A novel autonomous sub acquires the first detailed, high-resolution 3D maps of Antarctic sea ice.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:11pm -
- newAMs set to be given £10,000 pay rise
Members of the Welsh assembly could get a £10,000 pay rise after the 2016 election, the body which sets their salaries says.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:01pm -
- newOmagh bomb accused loses bail bid
A man accused of murdering 29 people in the Omagh bombing must remain in custody, a High Court judge has ruled.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:58pm -
- newUkraine 'will hold Nato referendum'
Ukraine's president says he intends to hold a referendum on joining Nato, in a move likely to anger Russia.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:54pm -
- newFuneral held for Doncaster crash teen
The funeral of one of five teenagers killed in a road accident in Conisbrough is held in Doncaster.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:42pm -
- newGoogle case over web abuse settled
The case of a businessman who wants to stop malicious web postings about him appearing in Google searches is settled at the High Court.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:38pm -
- newEx-minister calls for UK's EU exit
Former minister Owen Paterson calls for the UK to exit the EU, putting pressure on the prime minister amid Tory divisions on the issue.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:31pm -
- newSwiss museum to accept 'Nazi art'
Switzerland's Bern Art Museum says it will accept hundreds of works of art bequeathed by German Nazi-era art hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:21pm -
- newPrince William to visit China in 2015
The Duke of Cambridge is to visit China in 2015 after an invitation from the Chinese government, the BBC understands.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:09pm -
- newFamily fear murderer may kill again
The family of a bank manager shot dead on the doorstep of his home 10 years ago fear the murderer could kill again.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:56pm -
- newIssues in Google online abuse case
Clive Coleman examines the case which tried to get Google to monitor and remove false posts.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:52pm -
- newVideo of nanny abusing toddler shocks Uganda
Maid child abuse shocks Uganda
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:47pm -
- newHave any prices fallen faster than singles?
Bob Geldof says the price of a single has fallen 72% in the past 30 years.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:42pm -
- newVIDEO: Israel: 'Don't give Iran atomic bombs'
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tells the BBC's Kevin Connolly that the only acceptable deal for Israel would be the dismantling of Iran's nuclear capabilities.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:30pm -
- newVIDEO: Why does the rouble keep sliding?
Russia's president has warned of "catastrophic consequences" if the rouble continues to slide. The BBC examines how we got here.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:27pm -
- newVIDEO: Can UK change migrant benefit rules?
Open Europe says new rules over access to benefits for EU migrants in the UK might be a "perfect compromise".
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:26pm -
- new'Time is right' for new terror powers
The police and security services should get new powers to defend the UK from a terror threat "perhaps greater than it has ever been", the home secretary says.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:22pm -
- newHamilton on way to greatness - Stewart
Double world champion Lewis Hamilton cannot be considered a great yet but he is on the right path, says Sir Jackie Stewart.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:07pm -
- newVIDEO: Looted 'Nazi art' to be returned
Switzerland's Bern Art Museum has agreed to accept hundreds of artworks bequeathed by German Nazi-era art hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:58pm -
- newDay in pictures: 24 November 2014
24 hours of news images: 24 November
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:49pm -
- newFalling oil price costs Russia $100bn
The falling oil price is costing Russia up to $100bn a year, while Western sanctions have hit the country by a further $40bn, its finance minister says.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:38pm -
- newVIDEO: RBS apology for 'incorrect' evidence
Royal Bank of Scotland has apologised for giving incorrect evidence to a parliamentary hearing, it has emerged.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:37pm -
- newNHS strike: A walkout with a difference
Health workers have taken part in their second strike of the autumn. Once again disruption looks like it has been limited, but that does not mean it is a dispute that will peter out, says Nick Triggle.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:27pm -
- newOver 40s 'frozen out' of home loans
Home buyers over the age of 40 are increasingly being "frozen out" of getting mortgages, the industry warns.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:17pm -
- newClydach murderer bids for release
A man who beat a mother, her two children and their grandmother to death at their home near Swansea 15 years ago launches a fresh application to get his conviction overturned.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:03pm -
- newVunipola ruled out of Australia Test
Billy Vunipola is ruled out of England's Test against Australia with concussion and replaced by Thomas Waldrom.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:58pm -
- newDivorce 'damages children's GCSEs'
A survey from family lawyers says family break-up can damage GCSE and A-level results and children's health.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:55pm -
- newNHS staff stage four-hour strike
Nurses, midwives, ambulance staff and other NHS workers have staged a four-hour strike over pay.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:40pm -
- newVIDEO: Volcano erupts on Cape Verde island
A volcano has erupted on the Cape Verde island of Fogo, resulting in the evacuation of hundreds of residents and the closure of a local airport.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:09pm -
- new'Stealthy' spyware program uncovered
Sophisticated malicious programs used to spy on individuals and businesses represent a "challenge" to security firms, say experts
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:56am -
- newVIDEO: Kajaki: 'We wanted authenticity'
A new film, Kajaki, tells the true story of how a small unit of British soldiers escaped a minefield in Afghanistan
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:46am -
- newVIDEO: Catch it like Beckham
Odell Beckham Jr's stunning one-handed catch for a touchdown for the New York Giants in the NFL sets social media alight.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:43am -