- newTop Scots book character revealed
Francis Crawford of Lymond has topped a poll of favourite Scottish book characters carried out as part of Book Week Scotland.
- 54 mins ago 28 Nov 14, 12:58am -
- newVIDEO: Opec keeps oil output at current rate
Oil exporting nations agreed to keep pumping oil at its current levels - a move that sparked new falls in the price of oil. What will be the effect in Asia?
- 56 mins ago 28 Nov 14, 12:56am -
- newAbbott 'holding up' after Hughes death
Bowler Sean Abbott is 'holding up well' after batsman Phillip Hughes's death, despite fears he may not play cricket again.
- 59 mins ago 28 Nov 14, 12:53am -
- newVIDEO: Saving Darth Vader's childhood home
When a sand dune in Tunisia threatened to swallow up Mos Espa - the childhood home of Darth Vader - Star Wars fans teamed up with tourist chiefs to take action.
- 2 hours ago 28 Nov 14, 12:13am -
- newSearch for teachers 'may go abroad'
A continuing teacher recruitment shortage may prompt schools to look abroad for new teachers, experts say.
- 2 hours ago 28 Nov 14, 12:10am -
- newSocial media told to simplify terms
A report from the UK parliament says Facebook, Twitter and other social networking firms need to make their terms and conditions clearer.
- 2 hours ago 28 Nov 14, 12:04am -
- new'Too few' toddlers having flu vaccine
Too few toddlers and young children are having the seasonal flu vaccine, the chief medical officer for England warns.
- 2 hours ago 28 Nov 14, 12:00am -
- newMigrant benefits ban and Plebgate cost - front pages
Previews of Prime Minister David Cameron's speech on immigration lead many newspapers, while others focus on former minister Andrew Mitchell's libel case defeat.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:56pm -
- newHuge clean-up after Brisbane storm
A huge clean-up operation is under way in Brisbane after a severe storm swept across south-east Queensland.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:55pm -
- newBrazil legend Pele 'doing fine'
Brazil legend Pele says he is "doing fine" following treatment for a urinary infection at a Sao Paulo hospital.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:45pm -
- newTottenham Hotspur 1-0 Partizan Belgrade
Tottenham reach the Europa League knockout stage by beating Partizan Belgrade in a game interrupted by pitch intruders.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 10:41pm -
- newMexican president to overhaul police
Mexico's president announces plans for a massive overhaul of police, in the wake of the disappearance of 43 students in September.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 10:28pm -
- newMan injured in west Belfast shooting
A man is recovering in hospital after he was injured in what police have described as a paramilitary style shooting in west Belfast.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 10:12pm -
- new'Weeping' Australia mourns Hughes
Australia is "weeping" at the death of cricketer Phillip Hughes, says former opening batsman Michael Slater - as the country mourns.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 10:02pm -
- newWhy a sportsman's death hits so hard
The language of sporting hype is battles and tragedies but in reality the heroes usually walk away unscathed, says Tom Fordyce.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 9:50pm -
- newCraig Whyte held at Heathrow Airport
Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte is arrested after arriving in the UK from Mexico where he had been detained.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 9:38pm -
- newRegistration plate sells for £500K
Ferrari dealer spends £640,000 on two number plates at DVLA auction held in Wales.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 9:12pm -
- newExplosion in Nigeria 'kills dozens'
At least 25 people are killed in an explosion in north-eastern Nigeria, close to the Cameroonian border, reports say.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 9:03pm -
- newVIDEO: Bristol gang guilty of child sex crimes
Thirteen men have been convicted of child sex crimes, involving the abuse, rape and prostitution of teenage girls in Bristol.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 8:57pm -
- newSuspended Tesco exec leaves company
The BBC has learned one of the Tesco executives suspended by the company over the £260m profit misstatement has left the company.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 8:55pm -
- newHunted man held over double murder
A man is arrested on suspicion of murdering a couple whose bodies were found at their village home.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 8:46pm -
- newVIDEO: Most shop chicken contaminated
The Food Standards Agency has warned that 70% of fresh chickens sold in UK shops are contaminated with the Campylobacter bug.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 7:11pm -
- newBody parts killer guilty of murder
A man who stabbed his father to death and put his dismembered body into storage boxes, which he used as a TV stand, is convicted of murder.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:55pm -
- newMitchell called PCs plebs, judge says
A judge says he is satisfied former chief whip Andrew Mitchell called police officers "plebs" as he rules against the MP in a High Court libel action.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:53pm -
- newVIDEO: Care home boss guilty of sex charges
A man who ran children's homes in north Wales is found guilty of sexually assaulting youngsters in a campaign of abuse spanning decades.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:13pm -
- newRail and bus fares could increase
Rail and bus fare increases above the 3% rate of inflation "cannot be ruled out" as a result of proposed budget cuts at the Department for Regional Development (DRD).
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:10pm -
- newDouble points scrapped next season
Formula 1 bosses agree to ditch the controversial double points scheme for next season.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:07pm -
- newCare home boss guilty of sex charges
A man who ran a series of children's homes in north Wales is guilty of sexually assaulting youngsters in his care in a campaign of abuse spanning decades.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:52pm -
- newSA ventriloquist beats gagging order
A South African ventriloquist appears in court with his dummy to successfully challenge a gagging order.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:42pm -
- newHow easy is it to push a plane?
How many people does it take to push a plane?
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:39pm -
- newInjury could force O'Sullivan out
Ronnie O'Sullivan says he may have to pull out of the UK Championship after breaking his ankle while running.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:35pm -
- newVIDEO: Hail storm causes chaos in Brisbane
A powerful storm cut power to tens of thousands of homes and businesses in Brisbane, Australia, bringing "golf ball-sized" hailstones with it.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:15pm -
- newWoman wins £337m in divorce case
The American wife of London financier Sir Chris Hohn, Jamie Cooper-Hohn, is awarded £337m by a High Court judge in a divorce case.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:11pm -
- newUK swells list of banned websites
The High Court bans a further 53 piracy sites, more than doubling the number that the UK's leading net providers must block.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:10pm -
- newScotland 'should set income tax'
Scotland's income tax rates and bands should be set by its parliament, commission on devolving power recommends.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:00pm -
- newTensions ease in protest-hit Ferguson
A level of calm returns to the streets of Ferguson after two nights of unrest, although dozens of protesters have been arrested in California.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:59pm -
- newHow much will the chancellor give the NHS?
Will be £1.5bn or could it be £2bn? That's the debate around the higher echelons of the NHS in England as they await Chancellor George Osborne's Autumn Statement next week.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:48pm -
- newCrime author PD James dies aged 94
Best-selling novelist PD James, who created crime-fighting sleuth Adam Dalgliesh, dies at the age of 94.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:36pm -
- newUS race relations: Six statistics
Six statistics that shed a little more light on the state of race relations in the US, following the shooting of black teenager Michael Brown.
- 9 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:33pm -
- new'It wasn't care, it was like hell'
The story of one victim of paedophile care home boss
- 10 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:59pm -
- newTerminally ill woman settles claim
A terminally ill mother-of-two who said she would have been cured of her cancer had she been diagnosed earlier settles her case.
- 10 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:45pm -
- newUkraine in anti-corruption pledge
Ukraine's new parliament meets for the first time, as the president says he intends to nominate a foreigner to lead the country's anti-corruption efforts.
- 10 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:41pm -
- newPM accused of immigration 'failure'
David Cameron faces criticism from his rival party leaders as new figures show net migration has gone up since the 2010 election.
- 10 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:27pm -
- newMore powers for Scotland explained
The Holyrood parliament in Edinburgh is on course to receiving new powers, including on income tax, VAT and airport duty - but what will this mean for Scotland and the rest of the UK. Follow this explainer to find out more....
- 11 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:15pm -
- newVIDEO: Why stand as an election no-hoper?
Most by-elections have a raft of candidates who have no hope of winning, or even saving their deposit.
- 11 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:14pm -
- newThe sensitive aircraft carrier issue
The first fighters to operate from the Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier could be American, BBC Newsnight has learned. Mark Urban explores the sensitive nature of the aircraft carrier issue for the UK.
- 11 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:11pm -
- newSex abuse gangs jailed for grooming
Two gangs of men are convicted of a string of child sex crimes in Bristol involving the abuse, rape and prostitution of teenage girls.
- 11 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 2:45pm -
- newVIDEO: The longest-serving political leader in UK
Howling Laud Hope is the UK's longest-serving political leader but has never won an election or saved his deposit.
- 11 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 2:43pm -
- newIsrael 'foils Jerusalem attacks'
Israel says it has uncovered a Hamas cell in the West Bank that was planning to carry out a series of attacks in Jerusalem, including one on a stadium.
- 12 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:47pm -
- newPhillip Hughes: How is the brain injured?
How is the brain injured and protected from injury?
- 12 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:45pm -