- newSlow economic growth 'prolonged'
Many of the world's major economies face a prolonged period of slow growth, the Bank of England's chief economist, Andy Haldane, tells the BBC.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 9:26pm -
- newReview into school sex ed rape case
A council review is launched after a 13-year-old boy raped a classmate following a sex education lesson at school in Gwynedd.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 9:21pm -
- newRecall powers approved by MPs
"Recall" powers, which could see MPs subject to a public vote on their future in cases of serious misconduct, are backed by the House of Commons.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 9:16pm -
- newVIDEO: Wiggins reveals 2014 SPOTY nominees
2012 Sports Personality of the Year Bradley Wiggins reveals the candidates for this year's award.
- 2 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 9:03pm -
- newAMs set to be given £10,000 pay rise
Members of the Welsh assembly could get a £10,000 pay rise after the 2016 election, the body which sets their salaries says.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 8:28pm -
- newTeacher 'taped pupil to chair'
A teacher and a classroom assistant taped a seven-year-old pupil to a chair during a five-month campaign of bullying, a court hears.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 8:14pm -
- newDying woman sues for diagnosis delay
A terminally ill woman who claims a hospital did not treat her suspected cancer as urgent has launched legal action against a health board.
- 3 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 8:07pm -
- new'Militant traders' raid Nigeria town
Residents and soldiers are fleeing a Nigerian town raided by militant Islamists disguised as traders, officials say, as the country's top Muslim leader criticises the military.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 7:44pm -
- newSports Personality shortlist named
Ten contenders are named on the shortlist for the 2014 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award on 14 December.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 7:19pm -
- newVIDEO: Llewelyn-Bowen's festive park closes
An attraction styled, though not produced, by TV interior designer Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen has had to close after just one day, following complaints from hundreds of disappointed customers.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 7:18pm -
- newIran nuclear talks deadline extended
The deadline for a nuclear deal with Iran is extended to the end of June after talks in Vienna failed to reach a comprehensive agreement.
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:58pm -
- newSturridge will return 'soon enough'
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge says his injury troubles are making him stronger and he will be back "soon enough".
- 4 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:56pm -
- newRBS 'wanted critic's mortgage back'
A businessman who wrote a government report that criticised RBS has been told he can no longer remain a customer of the bank, Panorama learns.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:41pm -
- newID-theft equality boss found guilty
The former head of the Somerset Racial Equality Council is convicted of fraud after stealing another man's identity.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:38pm -
- newVIDEO: US police kill boy carrying fake gun
A 12-year-old boy has died after being shot by police in the US city of Cleveland, while carrying what turned out to be a replica gun.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:33pm -
- newAssembly passes murder info motion
The Northern Ireland Assembly calls on republicans to provide more information to the police about the murder of County Armagh man Paul Quinn seven years ago.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:22pm -
- newWhere did Chuck Hagel go wrong?
Mr Hagel may not have been fired from his top military post but he appears to have been pushed, says the BBC's Jonathan Marcus
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:11pm -
- newBritain's soggy future?
The Bank of England's chief economist, Andy Haldane, tells the BBC that there's a risk that long term growth in the UK, and other developed economies, will be "soggier than it has been in the past"
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 6:00pm -
- newUS defence secretary to step down
Chuck Hagel has resigned as US defence secretary after less than two years in the post, following a series of meetings with President Barack Obama.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:54pm -
- newC. diff inquiry blames health board
Scotland's largest health board is heavily criticised by an inquiry into the country's worst Clostridium difficile (C. diff) outbreak.
- 5 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:52pm -
- newVIDEO: Lewis Hamilton's season in numbers
See Lewis Hamilton's season in stats as he becomes only the fourth British F1 driver to win multiple world championships.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:32pm -
- newBT in talks to buy O2 from Telefonica
Telecoms giant BT is in talks with Telefonica about buying the O2 mobile network in the UK from the Spanish firm.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:09pm -
- new'Abuse risk' for 132 city children
At least 132 Birmingham children are suffering or are vulnerable to child sexual exploitation, a report shows.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 5:01pm -
- newVIDEO: Man's 20-year fake identity
The former head of the Somerset Racial Equality Council is convicted of fraud after stealing another man's identity, as Duncan Kennedy reports.
- 6 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:55pm -
- newWomen not equal to men, says Erdogan
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says women cannot be treated as equal to men, and accuses feminists of rejecting motherhood.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:31pm -
- newLlewelyn-Bowen vows action over park
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen vows to act after the Christmas attraction he helped to create was forced to close because of complaints.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:28pm -
- newMorocco hit by deadly flash floods
Flooding in southern Morocco kills 32 people and destroys homes after heavy weekend rainfall, officials say.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:13pm -
- newPolar sub gauges sea ice thickness
A novel autonomous sub acquires the first detailed, high-resolution 3D maps of Antarctic sea ice.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 4:11pm -
- newUkraine 'will hold Nato referendum'
Ukraine's president says he intends to hold a referendum on joining Nato, in a move likely to anger Russia.
- 7 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:54pm -
- newSwiss museum to accept 'Nazi art'
Switzerland's Bern Art Museum says it will accept hundreds of works of art bequeathed by German Nazi-era art hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt.
- 8 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 3:21pm -
- newFamily fear murderer may kill again
The family of a bank manager shot dead on the doorstep of his home 10 years ago fear the murderer could kill again.
- 8 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:56pm -
- newIssues in Google online abuse case
Clive Coleman examines the case which tried to get Google to monitor and remove false posts.
- 8 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:52pm -
- newVideo of nanny abusing toddler shocks Uganda
Maid child abuse shocks Uganda
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:47pm -
- newHave any prices fallen faster than singles?
Bob Geldof says the price of a single has fallen 72% in the past 30 years.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:42pm -
- newVIDEO: Israel: 'Don't give Iran atomic bombs'
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tells the BBC's Kevin Connolly that the only acceptable deal for Israel would be the dismantling of Iran's nuclear capabilities.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:30pm -
- newVIDEO: Why does the rouble keep sliding?
Russia's president has warned of "catastrophic consequences" if the rouble continues to slide. The BBC examines how we got here.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:27pm -
- newVIDEO: Can UK change migrant benefit rules?
Open Europe says new rules over access to benefits for EU migrants in the UK might be a "perfect compromise".
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:26pm -
- new'Time is right' for new terror powers
The police and security services should get new powers to defend the UK from a terror threat "perhaps greater than it has ever been", the home secretary says.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:22pm -
- newHamilton on way to greatness - Stewart
Double world champion Lewis Hamilton cannot be considered a great yet but he is on the right path, says Sir Jackie Stewart.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 2:07pm -
- newVIDEO: Looted 'Nazi art' to be returned
Switzerland's Bern Art Museum has agreed to accept hundreds of artworks bequeathed by German Nazi-era art hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt.
- 9 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:58pm -
- newDay in pictures: 24 November 2014
24 hours of news images: 24 November
- 10 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:49pm -
- newVIDEO: RBS apology for 'incorrect' evidence
Royal Bank of Scotland has apologised for giving incorrect evidence to a parliamentary hearing, it has emerged.
- 10 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:37pm -
- newNHS strike: A walkout with a difference
Health workers have taken part in their second strike of the autumn. Once again disruption looks like it has been limited, but that does not mean it is a dispute that will peter out, says Nick Triggle.
- 10 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:27pm -
- newOver 40s 'frozen out' of home loans
Home buyers over the age of 40 are increasingly being "frozen out" of getting mortgages, the industry warns.
- 10 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 1:17pm -
- newDivorce 'damages children's GCSEs'
A survey from family lawyers says family break-up can damage GCSE and A-level results and children's health.
- 10 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:55pm -
- newNHS staff stage four-hour strike
Nurses, midwives, ambulance staff and other NHS workers have staged a four-hour strike over pay.
- 11 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:40pm -
- newVIDEO: Volcano erupts on Cape Verde island
A volcano has erupted on the Cape Verde island of Fogo, resulting in the evacuation of hundreds of residents and the closure of a local airport.
- 11 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 12:09pm -
- new'Stealthy' spyware program uncovered
Sophisticated malicious programs used to spy on individuals and businesses represent a "challenge" to security firms, say experts
- 11 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:56am -
- newVIDEO: Kajaki: 'We wanted authenticity'
A new film, Kajaki, tells the true story of how a small unit of British soldiers escaped a minefield in Afghanistan
- 12 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:46am -
- newVIDEO: Catch it like Beckham
Odell Beckham Jr's stunning one-handed catch for a touchdown for the New York Giants in the NFL sets social media alight.
- 12 hours ago 24 Nov 14, 11:43am -