- newMan released over McConville case
The well-known republican Bobby Storey, who was arrested as part of the overall investigation into the abduction and murder of Jean McConville in 1972, is released.
- 1 hour ago 27 Nov 14, 7:48pm -
- newVIDEO: Most shop chicken contaminated
The Food Standards Agency has warned that 70% of fresh chickens sold in UK shops are contaminated with the Campylobacter bug.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 7:11pm -
- newVIDEO: 'There was nothing cosy about her work'
The novelist, PD James, one of the most respected British crime writers, has died at the age of 94.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 7:09pm -
- newBody parts killer guilty of murder
A man who stabbed his father to death and put his dismembered body into storage boxes, which he used as a TV stand, is convicted of murder.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:55pm -
- newMitchell called PCs plebs, judge says
A judge says he is satisfied former chief whip Andrew Mitchell called police officers "plebs" as he rules against the MP in a High Court libel action.
- 2 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:53pm -
- newVIDEO: Care home boss guilty of sex charges
A man who ran children's homes in north Wales is found guilty of sexually assaulting youngsters in a campaign of abuse spanning decades.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:13pm -
- newRail and bus fares could increase
Rail and bus fare increases above the 3% rate of inflation "cannot be ruled out" as a result of proposed budget cuts at the Department for Regional Development (DRD).
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:10pm -
- newDouble points scrapped next season
Formula 1 bosses agree to ditch the controversial double points scheme for next season.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:07pm -
- newSporting world rallies around Abbott
The cricketing world is rallying around bowler Sean Abbott amid fears he may never play again after Phillip Hughes's death.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 6:06pm -
- newCare home boss guilty of sex charges
A man who ran a series of children's homes in north Wales is guilty of sexually assaulting youngsters in his care in a campaign of abuse spanning decades.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:52pm -
- newMP denies Twitter porn favourite
Lincoln MP Karl McCartney denies "favouriting" a pornographic image on Twitter, blaming the site's lack of security.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:44pm -
- newSA ventriloquist beats gagging order
A South African ventriloquist appears in court with his dummy to successfully challenge a gagging order.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:42pm -
- newHow easy is it to push a plane?
How many people does it take to push a plane?
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:39pm -
- newBrazil legend Pele in hospital
Brazil legend Pele is transferred to a special care unit in Sao Paulo following treatment for a urinary infection.
- 3 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:33pm -
- newOil prices plunge after Opec meeting
Crude oil prices slump in reaction to the decision by the Opec oil producers' cartel not to cut output.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:19pm -
- newAustralia batsman Phillip Hughes dies
Australia cricketer Phillip Hughes dies in hospital, two days after being hit on the neck by a ball during a match in Sydney.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:16pm -
- newVIDEO: Hail storm causes chaos in Brisbane
A powerful storm cut power to tens of thousands of homes and businesses in Brisbane, Australia, bringing "golf ball-sized" hailstones with it.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:15pm -
- newWoman wins £337m in divorce case
The American wife of London financier Sir Chris Hohn, Jamie Cooper-Hohn, is awarded £337m by a High Court judge in a divorce case.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:11pm -
- newUK swells list of banned websites
The High Court bans a further 53 piracy sites, more than doubling the number that the UK's leading net providers must block.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:10pm -
- newAfghan attack hits UK embassy car
A suicide bomber strikes a UK embassy vehicle in the Afghan capital Kabul, with a British worker and an Afghan staff member among those killed.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:08pm -
- newVIDEO: What is Opec? In 60 seconds
BBC News looks at the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) and its challenges, amid a slump in global crude oil prices.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:07pm -
- newScotland 'should set income tax'
Scotland's income tax rates and bands should be set by its parliament, commission on devolving power recommends.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 5:00pm -
- newTensions ease in protest-hit Ferguson
A level of calm returns to the streets of Ferguson after two nights of unrest, although dozens of protesters have been arrested in California.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:59pm -
- newHow much will the chancellor give the NHS?
Will be £1.5bn or could it be £2bn? That's the debate around the higher echelons of the NHS in England as they await Chancellor George Osborne's Autumn Statement next week.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:48pm -
- newCraig Whyte held at Heathrow Airport
Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte is arrested after arriving in the UK from Mexico where he had been detained.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:43pm -
- newCrime author PD James dies aged 94
Best-selling novelist PD James, who created crime-fighting sleuth Adam Dalgliesh, dies at the age of 94.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:36pm -
- newScottish Widows to cut 130 jobs
Scottish Widows is to cut 130 jobs across the UK as part of a restructuring of its pensions and investments businesses.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:31pm -
- newPeter Kay brings back Phoenix Nights
Peter Kay is bringing back his hit TV show Phoenix Nights for two live shows in aid of Comic Relief.
- 4 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 4:29pm -
- new'It wasn't care, it was like hell'
The story of one victim of paedophile care home boss
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:59pm -
- newTerminally ill woman settles claim
A terminally ill mother-of-two who said she would have been cured of her cancer had she been diagnosed earlier settles her case.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:45pm -
- newUkraine in anti-corruption pledge
Ukraine's new parliament meets for the first time, as the president says he intends to nominate a foreigner to lead the country's anti-corruption efforts.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:41pm -
- newPM accused of immigration 'failure'
David Cameron faces criticism from his rival party leaders as new figures show net migration has gone up since the 2010 election.
- 5 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:27pm -
- newMore powers for Scotland explained
The Holyrood parliament in Edinburgh is on course to receiving new powers, including on income tax, VAT and airport duty - but what will this mean for Scotland and the rest of the UK. Follow this explainer to find out more....
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:15pm -
- newVIDEO: Why stand as an election no-hoper?
Most by-elections have a raft of candidates who have no hope of winning, or even saving their deposit.
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:14pm -
- newThe sensitive aircraft carrier issue
The first fighters to operate from the Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier could be American, BBC Newsnight has learned. Mark Urban explores the sensitive nature of the aircraft carrier issue for the UK.
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 3:11pm -
- newSex abuse gangs jailed for grooming
Two gangs of men are convicted of a string of child sex crimes in Bristol involving the abuse, rape and prostitution of teenage girls.
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 2:45pm -
- newVIDEO: The longest-serving political leader in UK
Howling Laud Hope is the UK's longest-serving political leader but has never won an election or saved his deposit.
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 2:43pm -
- newUK net migration rises to 260,000
The government is set to miss its immigration targets as net migration to the UK reaches its highest level since the 2010 general election.
- 6 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 2:41pm -
- newIsrael 'foils Jerusalem attacks'
Israel says it has uncovered a Hamas cell in the West Bank that was planning to carry out a series of attacks in Jerusalem, including one on a stadium.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:47pm -
- newPhillip Hughes: How is the brain injured?
How is the brain injured and protected from injury?
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:45pm -
- newWar and Peace to take over Radio 4
A 10-hour production of Tolstoy's epic novel War and Peace, featuring John Hurt, will dominate BBC Radio 4's output on New Year's Day.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:42pm -
- newQuiz: How much do you know about migration?
How much do you know about migration?
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:42pm -
- newDancing woman flouts Iranian rules
Woman on subway flouts Iran's dress code
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:39pm -
- newSchool apologises over gay Bible row
A Belfast school has apologised after complaints were made about a worksheet on religious views on homosexuality.
- 7 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:23pm -
- newHughes the 'uncomplicated natural'
ABC commentator Jim Maxwell plays tribute to the "phlegmatic, laconic and affable" Phillip Hughes, who has died aged 25.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:57pm -
- newFood bug affects 70% of shop chickens
More than 70% of fresh chickens being sold in the UK are contaminated with the Campylobacter bug, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) reveals.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:53pm -
- newIndian girls 'killed themselves'
Two Indian teenagers found hanged in May took their own lives, investigators say, contradicting reports they were gang-raped and murdered.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:49pm -
- newYemen raid missed Western hostages
US and Yemeni troops who freed eight people held by al-Qaeda in a raid in eastern Yemen this week were looking for Western hostages who had been moved.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:41pm -
- newCaption Challenge: Fiery demon
It's the Caption Challenge. Oh yes it is.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:37pm -
- newSpain is not corrupt, says PM Rajoy
Spanish leader Mariano Rajoy tells MPs that most politicians are not corrupt, a day after his health minister stepped down over a kick-back scandal.
- 8 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:24pm -