- newCook timing naughty, says Harmison
The timing of Alastair Cook's removal as England one-day captain was "naughty", according to Steve Harmison.
- 52 mins ago 19 Dec 14, 11:49pm -
- newCairns children's mother arrested
Police arrest the mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a home in Cairns, Australia.
- 1 hour ago 19 Dec 14, 11:35pm -
- newVIDEO: Where children learn fundamentalism
Pakistan 'a state under pressure' as authorities face the challenge of how to defeat the Taliban, amidst differing opinions and politics.
- 1 hour ago 19 Dec 14, 11:13pm -
- newDeadly Farc attack before truce
Colombia's Farc rebels have killed five soldiers in an ambush, the army says, hours before they are due to start an indefinite, unilateral ceasefire.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:57pm -
- newObama vows response to Sony hack
President Obama vows to respond to an alleged North Korean cyber-attack on Sony Pictures, but says cancelling a film release was "a mistake".
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:53pm -
- newIrish minister hopeful of NI deal
Irish Foreign Minister Charlie Flanagan says he is hopeful that there will be a deal in Northern Ireland's cross-party talks early next week.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:51pm -
- newVIDEO: How web chats can lead to blackmail
Hundreds of thousands of men around the world are falling victim every year to a pernicious form of online crime.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:48pm -
- newObama orders ban on Crimea trade
President Barack Obama orders a trade ban with Crimea, to show the US "will not accept Russia's occupation" of the Ukrainian region.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:44pm -
- newCarter gets all-clear from cancer
Two-time World Championship finalist Ali Carter is given the all-clear after he was diagnosed with lung cancer in May.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:37pm -
- newVan Gaal makes Carrick vice-captain
England midfielder Michael Carrick is appointed as Manchester United's new vice-captain.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:34pm -
- newSale Sharks 18-11 Exeter Chiefs
Sale move up to fourth in the Premiership after ending Exeter Chiefs' eight-match winning run with a tense victory.
- 2 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 10:23pm -
- newMichael Phelps admits drink-driving
US swimmer Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all-time, gets a one-year suspended jail sentence after pleading guilty to drink-driving.
- 3 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 9:54pm -
- newWickerman founder Jamie Gilroy dead
The co-founder of the Wickerman Festival has died in hospital after an incident on his farm understood to involve a firearm.
- 3 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 9:53pm -
- newEngland's Waters loses Worlds semi
England's Alison Waters is knocked out of the Women's World Squash Championship after losing her semi-final.
- 4 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 8:57pm -
- newTurkey issues warrant for Gulen
Turkey issues an arrest warrant for influential US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is accused of organising an anti-government movement.
- 4 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 8:17pm -
- newWhat next for Fifa and Sepp Blatter?
With a report into World Cup corruption to - eventually - be released, president Sepp Blatter says Fifa's crisis is over. Is he right?
- 5 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 7:55pm -
- newMan, 80, jailed for teen acid attack
An 80-year-old man is jailed for 18 years for masterminding an acid revenge attack on his teenage ex-girlfriend.
- 5 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 7:17pm -
- newVIDEO: Dalglish describes scenes of mayhem
The former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has given evidence at the inquests into the Hillsborough disaster.
- 5 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 7:12pm -
- newKilled PC 'may have been recognised'
An off-duty PC who died after being attacked in Liverpool city centre might have been recognised as an officer, the chief constable says.
- 6 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 6:52pm -
- newPeshawar spurs Pakistan executions
Pakistan carries out its first executions since lifting a moratorium on the death penalty in the wake of the Peshawar school massacre.
- 6 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 6:50pm -
- newEbola kills top Sierra Leone doctor
One of Sierra Leone's top doctors, Victor Willoughby, died from Ebola hours after the arrival of experimental drug ZMab, medical officials say.
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:51pm -
- new'Stephen Colbert' now belongs to the ages
Reflections on Stephen Colbert’s legacy
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:48pm -
- newLineker criticises Fifa 'farce'
Former England striker Gary Lineker says the way Fifa is running world football is a "farce" and "hugely depressing".
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:43pm -
- newCompanies face 'bloodbath' in Russia
The chief executive of Renault Nissan says manufacturers in Russia are facing a "bloodbath" because of the plunge in the value of the rouble.
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:36pm -
- new10 things we didn't know last week
The NSA had a staff 'Clown Club', and more nuggets from the news.
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:21pm -
- newWeekendish: The best of the week's reads
A collection of some of the best reads from the BBC News website this week.
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:14pm -
- newAnti-abortion protester cautioned
A woman convicted of harassing a Marie Stopes clinic director is cautioned for breaching a court order.
- 7 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:11pm -
- newTime capsule found at surgeons' hall
Two newspapers from 19 March 1909, two postcards and a list of names dated 26 March 1909 are found inside a snuff tin by workmen in Edinburgh.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:10pm -
- newOxfam criticised over poverty tweet
An Oxfam tweet linking benefit cuts to poverty could have been "misconstrued" as party political campaigning, the Charity Commission says.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 5:09pm -
- newSuspects deny 'sextorting' teenager
The BBC goes to the Philippines to investigate a rise in blackmail of people duped into taking part in explicit online chats and videos.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:59pm -
- newWeek in pictures: 13-19 December 2014
News photo from around the world
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:42pm -
- newVIDEO: Iraqi soldiers 'fighting for their lives'
Quentin Sommerville reports from the Ain al-Asad airbase - a linchpin in the battle against Islamic State for Iraq's Anbar province.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:30pm -
- newLA River's flood role is 'paramount'
Any moves to modify the concrete Los Angeles River, to return parts of it to a more natural setting or to capture water, must not compromise its flood-protection function, say scientists.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:27pm -
- newPlea by parents of Aurora accused
The parents of James Holmes, the man charged with killing 12 and injuring 70 in a 2012 Colorado theatre massacre, have pleaded he be spared the death penalty.
- 8 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:19pm -
- newParties seeking £2bn for Stormont
The five main parties at Stormont ask the government for £2bn in loans and extra funding over a 10-year period, the BBC understands.
- 9 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 4:04pm -
- newPakistan school massacre: Who are the dead?
The BBC profiles victims of the Taliban school massacre
- 9 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 3:43pm -
- newKenya leader signs tough security law
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta signs into law a controversial anti-terror bill which sparked fighting between MPs in parliament on Thursday.
- 9 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 3:40pm -
- newDoes this 90-year-old photo show the world's first 'selfie stick'?
Family photo reveals 2014's hot gadget in use in 1920s
- 9 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 3:27pm -
- newUS church crash claims fourth victim
A young boy has become the fourth fatality after a motorist slammed into a crowd in front of a California church.
- 10 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 3:04pm -
- newMan admits murder of woman, 45
A 47-year-old man faces a life sentence for murdering a Flintshire woman he met on a dating website.
- 10 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 2:57pm -
- newKurds 'break IS mountain siege'
Kurdish forces in northern Iraq say they have broken Islamic State's siege of Mount Sinjar, claiming their biggest victory yet against the militants.
- 10 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 2:37pm -
- newMother dies of sudden death syndrome
A mother collapses and dies just days before Christmas of the rare heart condition sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.
- 10 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 2:14pm -
- newVIDEO: Shopping online from a country cottage
For 2014, there is evidence to suggest more people than ever have shopped online, especially in rural areas where 9 out of 10 people shop online.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 2:07pm -
- newApple 'deeply offended' by BBC story
Apple has said it is "deeply offended" by a BBC investigation into conditions for workers involved in manufacturing its devices.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 2:05pm -
- newEU approves first stem cell therapy
A stem cell therapy has been approved for widespread medical use in the EU for the first time.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 1:48pm -
- newIllegal attempts to enter UK on rise
Migrants made about 100 attempts a day to get into the UK illegally this summer, figures suggest, as nearly 12,000 were stopped in four months.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 1:43pm -
- newA classic Westminster scandal
Mandy Rice-Davies and a classic Westminster scandal that mortally wounded a prime minister.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 1:39pm -
- newVIDEO: The struggle for Mount Sinjar
The BBC explains the significance of Mount Sinjar in northern Iraq, where Kurdish Peshmerga forces say they have broken the hold of Islamic State.
- 11 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 1:16pm -
- newVIDEO: Top of the 2014 political pops
The top five most read stories on the BBC News web site's political pages in 2014 are revealed in a countdown.
- 12 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 12:37pm -
- newStem cell scandal scientist resigns
A Japanese stem cell scientist at the heart of a scandal over false claims and fabricated research has resigned.
- 12 hours ago 19 Dec 14, 12:27pm -